Hold on to your seats, folks… I actually have something craft related to blog about today. Not only is it craft related, but it is SEWING related. Are you choking?
I actually called one of my friends and told her that I had HUGE news for her and that she needed to sit down to hear it. And then I told her that I sewed something. I think she thought I was calling to tell her I was dying. Although I was sort of dying… dying of amazement.
For those of you that don’t know – I’ve been seriously procrastinating on starting this hobby.
I received the sewing machine for my birthday… IN JULY. I promptly took the sewing machine out of the box because I knew if I didn’t, I would NEVER touch it.
I bought fabric, thread and other small sewing accessories in August to start my “make a KitchenAid Stand Mixer cover” project.
I sewed something on Sunday night… in November. Yeah.
I did a lot of oohing and aahing at everyone else’s projects. I joined Pinterest and started pinning “sewing inspirations”. I looked up sewing classes. I messaged friends that had sewn something and asked HOW… HOW did they get started?
Honestly, I have no idea what triggered me to actually pull the sewing machine out and start using it on Sunday but once I started, I was on a roll.
And that basically means I didn’t take any pictures. (cue sad trombone)
I spent the majority of the time going, “Oh my god, I’m sewing! I’m seeeewwwwwiiiiinnng!”
Project 1 – Christmas stocking for Annmarie.
I don’t remember if this was my idea or Jeremy’s suggestion. But Jeremy suggested that I make AM’s stocking from her baby blankets.
Side note – people will tell you various things that you MUST HAVE when you’re expecting a child. Everyone’s opinions are different. I apparently am friends with a lot of people that felt blankets were a must. I have so many blankets. You could even say that I have a plethora of blankets. So even though I hate the idea of cutting up baby clothing to sew something, blankets were something we could spare.
I looked up some DIY Christmas stockings and came across this tutorial.
I liked the idea of having a liner fabric that is displayed when you cuff the stocking down. But I’ll admit it took me a few reads to grasp the concept of how to attach the liner correctly. Even Jeremy didn’t get it (and he’s usually the one that “gets it” for everything… except for when I expect presents. Like a push present. I’m still waiting. And I don’t think push presents are like wedding presents where you have a year to give said present.)
So here’s the end product:
There are a ton of mistakes (and the most obvious one being that I sewed the liner in the wrong direction. And to be honest, I wasn’t paying attention to direction when I cut the pattern but if I had, I would have made sure the butterflies appeared right side up when cuffed over).
Project 2 – KitchenAid Stand Mixer Cover
I’ve been wanting to cover our mixer for quite some time since it goes mostly unused and its placement in the kitchen leaves it open to splatter from food and whatnot.
I found this tutorial.
I sort of winged it though. I didn’t have piping and I didn’t think I needed to mess with bias tape since I didn’t even understand what it was in the first place.
Also – that pattern? I totally winged it. I mean, I drew something out on a sheet of newspaper based on some loose measurements I took of the mixer and then cut. But I didn’t really ensure the lines of the fabric were straight and this was something that would bite me in the ass later.
And because I was still SO pumped that I was sewing, I didn’t take any step by step photos. So here’s the end product:
Now this is riddled with mistakes but the biggest mistake is that it is lop-sided. You can’t tell in this picture but if you lay the cover flat, it is quite apparent that it is crooked. Actually, if you look at it on the mixer, you can see that it is crooked. But for winging it and for it being my 2nd sewing project since 6th grade – I’m still pretty happy with it.
Now I’ve caught the sewing bug! Pillow covers are next!
And just because…